Monday, April 8, 2013

Daycare's First Day & Some Observations

I'm not counting the day i went over and plungered ONE baby food jar of carrots. While that moment is not without its validity, and a stepping stone in this whole process, it was hardly a meal of 200 mls of SEVERAL foods blended together.

I just called, and things are going SWIMMINGLY, dahling! The gals said he's been in super cheery spirits and had a little snack taste by mouth during his first morning "snack" by belly!

Right now, to clarify, i've made a total of six days worth of that First Blend. I should give it a fun name. Or maybe just call it Hank's First Blend. I divide a day's worth by six, for the day's allotment.

Many parents make specific blends - a morning bfast, afternoon snack, supper, etc. I think that's great. I am definitely not there yet. It took all i had (with many spills and capacity blunders) to make up four days' worth last night. I'll get better. I know it. And maybe what i do next time is make a week's worth of bfasts, a week's worth of lunch, a week's worth of suppers - all in the same calorie/amt range, and can mix-n-match. With time.

I'm receiving nothing but excited raised eyebrow looks and verbal pats on the back. My husband Ron has been incredibly supportive throughout this whole process, interested in the benefits i'm reading about. Sometimes i think I'm babbling, and he'll pull me in for a kiss and tell me I'm the best Mom in the World. ♥

ON OVERNIGHT FEED AND MEDS/CONGESTION

Now i realize it's only been two days, BUT... in those two days, i noticed something huge:

Total silence coming from the crib.

Henry sleeps so soundly and so quietly. Ron agreed and looked at me for a second as if to say "wow... that's really huge." It IS huge! No more snorting, or gurgling, no more gasps for breath now and then (we do know of a mild apnea situation, nothing too huge or needing oxygen).

I've also noticed, i believe, his congestion level decreasing. I picked minimal boogars and crusties from his nose this weekend and this morning.

I've [inadvertantly] discontinued his Loratadine (aka Claritin, for allergies). It was in between pharmacies when we ran out and i've never picked up the new Rx. My Mom Intuition, from when it was initially dispensed, was that it wasn't doing anything. I kept thinking milk allergy to the formula. Well now my test is in full effect. I cannot determine milk allergy without 1) eliminating milk and watching and 2) eliminating Loratadine and watching. Either way, his congestion level is probably lower than MINE and i do not see him needing meds for that issue at this time.

That brings his med list down to ONE: The Keppra for his "blue episodes" (seizure activity), twice a day. I will not do anything to that drug due to the nature of it's purpose, as well as the fact that we have not seen any further blue episodes and it is mostly likely attributed to the Keppra. For the record here, i am not ANTI DRUGS. I am 'anti' the over-prescribing of drugs. Prescribing drugs whose effects mask REAL problems that need solving. At one time, Hank was on 5 or 6 meds. I've weened him off a few of those myself, always checking with the doc and the doc shrugging and saying "well, he seems great and he probably doesn't need it."

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Chris! I am enjoying reading your blog. Ode to you mom'sthat diary your blending! I started blending my daughter, Christianna's food in the end of March. She too is 3. She's pretty immobile currently and was only getting 720cal. Of pediasure a day, and gaining weight! So I have yet to find a current nutritionist to discuss blending with other than old early interventions nutritionist we had. Can't wait to start that coconut oil, I've been hearing about it, but not about the cognitive brain stuff!! Excited. Fortunately C. can eat anything. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for the nice comments! Keep looking for that perfect supportive nutritionist! I'm sure you'll find one. Use all your resources, talk with doctors who support you and go from there. I, on the other rebelious hand, have not spoken with anyone yet. We're going on over a month now. Hank is thriving. I have a scheduled appt with ENT tmw and might mention what's been going on there... we'll see. I like ALL his doctors too! It's not like i'm KEEPING THIS from anyone... just haven't seen a need to REPORT what i've been doing. Food is food. The best. I wish you luck "lolita." Don't be a stranger and hugs to Christianna!

      Delete

Hi. The reason I am moderating comments (which i never do, and generally dislike) is because I've been getting some spam lately. If you are commenting in a VALID way, i will definitely post your comment. Thank you!