Thursday, May 9, 2013

Syringe Cracks!

So of the 25 birdy syringes i ordered online, 5 of them, already, in less than a month, have bit the dust.

I need to clarify...

ONE came cracked upon arrival. In the shipment. I thought "oh, that's a bummer," but things like that happen, so i wasn't too torn up. I did keep it, and the hand-signed (!) packing slip, planning to write to the gal and request a new one. No big whoop. Wasn't RUSHING to do that.

Then, as i got them back from daycare, i noticed a crack in one about once a week. The WAY i find out is kinda funny: After i've washed them, and reinserted plunger, i go to draw up another 'dose' and it doesn't go past the crack. NOW that i know that means a crack, i get it. But when it FIRST happened, i couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wasn't drawing. It's not like the crack is that noticeable!

Then it occurred to me one day, while putting the massive FreezPaks in the insulated bag: Maybe the syringes are cracking because they are resting right next to the FreezPak and it's too cold!!

It's what i've got so far. It hasn't happened since i removed that system. Now, instead of packing two big ones, i pack one smaller one wrapped in a papertowel. The gals have said they are making room for them in their little fridge (too). Which kinda bums me out, cuz that is why i bought the insulated bag, so save room in their fridge for OTHER stuff! Oh well.

Moral of the Story (I think): Don't keep syringes cool by sticking them RIGHT NEXT TO FreezPaks. It may crack them.

I still might try to get my ONE originally-cracked syringe replaced. Hey - that's two bucks! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: We're going on about a week since suspecting the FreezPaks were killing the syringes, and no further cracks. I'm feeling pretty confident the cold was the culprit.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. The reason I am moderating comments (which i never do, and generally dislike) is because I've been getting some spam lately. If you are commenting in a VALID way, i will definitely post your comment. Thank you!